What are fibroids? What causes fibroids to grow?They are non-cancerous tumors which grow inside the abdominal cavity, on or inside the female reproductive organs. They are also called "leiomyoma" or "myomas". It is believed that estrogen dominance, caused by phytoestrogens and xenoestrogens stimulate the growth of fibroids. They usually shrink during menopause because the levels of estrogen decrease.
Fibroids can cause some very unpleasant symptoms like heavy menstruation, a bulging abdomen, pain in the abdomen and intense menstrual cramping, pain during sex, and pressure on the bladder.
My personal experience with uterine fibroidsIn 2010, I suffered a miscarriage. It was one of the most devastating times of my life. There is no conclusive cause for the miscarriage but I believe that uterine fibroids were a factor. I was diagnosed with fibroids in 2000 by my gynecologist. At that time, I had know idea that I had fibroids and no symptoms. At the time that I was diagnosed with fibroids, they were small. Now, my fibroids are so large, that I can feel them protruding in my uterus.
My gynecologist told me that fibroids may be caused by diet. He also added that since I am an African-American, that I was at increased risk for developing fibroids. He told me that there is no cure for uterine fibroids, but there were medical treatment options available. Since the fibroids weren't causing me any pain or discomfort, he suggested that I "do nothing". Had I known what I know today, I would have been actively researching ways to naturally get rid of the fibroids.
There are several medical treatments available for fibroid treatment such as myomectomy and uterine artery emobilization. I decided that I do not want to have any surgery to remove the fibroid tumors. Nor, do I want any invasive treatments for the fibroids, as these procedures carry significant risks, complications, and side effects.
One of my relatives had an operation to remove her uterine fibriods. Well, she nearly bled to death after the procedure, and was rushed back into surgery for a hysterectomy. Fortunately, she already had children. For these reasons, I seek natural methods to shrink fibroids.
Natural Treatments for FibroidsThere are no guarantees that these methods will eliminate fibroids, but I will list some of the most common non-invasive and natural ways to shrink your fibroids:
- Detox the blood and organ systems (example, liver cleanses and gall bladder flush).
- Take cleansing herbs, such as Red Clover and Motherwort.
- Drink plenty of purified water to flush out the system.
- Refrain from drinking coffee and other caffeine containing products.
- Refrain from eating non-organic red-meat, pork, poultry, and diary products. If possible, don't ingest these products at all. These products contain growth hormones which are believed to increase estrogen dominance in the blood stream.
- Incorporate plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in the diet, especially green leafy vegetables.
- Use warm Castor oil packs on the abdomen.
- Take organic unsulphured Black Strap molasses.
- Take apple cider vinegar. Some women say that it helps to relieve the symptoms of fibroids and reduces heavy menstrual bleeding.
Disclaimer: This post is for information purposes only. Please do your own research and seek advice from a licensed medical doctor or a naturopathic doctor.
© Copyright 2014 Susan Broadbelt